Wednesday, September 23, 2020

MARATHON MONKS OF MT HIEI

 My next book, THE COMPETITIVE BUDDHA, will be out in the Spring. To demonstrate the impact of Buddhism on athletics, I use several stories like this one about the Marathon Monks. 

In his classic book, THE ZEN OF RUNNING, Fred Rohe addresses beautifully the athlete’s spiritual path to enlightenment and mastery. He observes how there are no possible victories aside from the joy you experience while dancing your run. These words perfectly describe the “MARATHON MONKS OF MOUNT HIEI,” the title of John Stevens' famous book. These monks are not hoping to run fast or win a race. They simply hope for spiritual growth as they become one with the sacred Buddhist mountain, dancing effortlessly along the path, free of obstruction in concert with the Buddha Sports way. The joy of this experience is felt in the effortless effort totally focused on the running dance.

These explorers of “inner space,” are called gyojas. A gyoja is a Buddha spiritual athlete who moves along the path as he circles the mountain in search of awareness. The Buddha helps them run; running helps them to awaken; thus the competitive Buddha journey.

Legend has it that these monks run, in straw sandals, 1,000 marathons (26.2 miles) in 1,000 days in their quest to reach enlightenment. At the completion of this journey, the monks spend nine days without food, water or sleep. Those who succeed become revered as human Buddhas or living saints.

So, what does all this mean to you and me? Well, in Japan, sport is often seen as a path towards self-fulfillment. Sport is simple and pure; it has a power to clear the mind and fill the soul that few other activities possess. As a competitive runner back in the day, I had many transformational moments where it felt like I was meeting my maker. Buddhist thought helped me to get a better grasp on life and its challenges. It also helped me to be a better athlete. The physical activity helped me to break through emotional blockages as my body began to feel light, fluid, flowing, strong and at one with the earth beneath my feet. I am always in search of that sacred place, to find it once more and bathe in its beauty. I think I’ll don my running shoes and head to the trail for another spiritual athletic experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment