Thursday, December 3, 2015

THERE IS A WAY

We are incarcerated in our minds with society’s shallow beliefs about what we can and can't do. Most of us focus on disabilities rather than the possibilities. 

“Our beliefs are real limits that need to be examined and then transcended”, in the words of the brilliant dolphin researcher, John Lilly. I see examples everyday of people and groups and athletic teams doing the "impossible."

There is the story of a 93 year old who hikes 25 miles each day. When asked how she could do that, she responded, "No one ever told me I couldn't." 

I recently was told by my then agent after 9 rejections of my proposal for my next book that publishers are not looking for this type of book. I didn't believe her but I believed in the material and that it was relevant to these times. So, I did what my heart told me to do... I fired her and hired someone who believed in it. Within 2 weeks, we had three publishers wanting the book. I just signed a beautiful, lucrative contract with a terrific publisher and now I get to make a difference in the lives of others, helping them to question similar occurrences in their lives. 

I live by the adage, "THERE IS A WAY."  When you follow your heart, there will be doors that open where there weren't even doors before, so says Joseph Campbell. In his classic book, “The Alchemist”, Pablo Coelho reminds us that on the journey across the vast desert, caravans will cross our path in opposite directions and they will have just what we need at that moment to continue on our path. 

Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment